~ SHOPS ~ FOOD ~ FUEL ~ LODGING ~
Past Greenwood, along Highway 193, is the old mining town of Georgetown. Stop at the Buffalo Hill Center to view an interesting display of mining equipment. View ancient headstones in the Georgetown Cemetery and spend time visiting shops & historic buildings on Main Street. Just outside of town is Dru Barner Park and Campground which is popular with equestrians and hikers.
~ FOOD ~ LODGING ~
Heading north on Highway 49 is the Dave Moore Recreation Area offering handicapped accessibility to the American River. Further north is Cronan Ranch Park with 12 miles of trails and river access. Pilot Hill was named for the large fires locals would light as a beacon to guide miners & settlers to the Coloma Valley. Shortly before you return to Cool is the historic Bayley House Mansion and barn, a popular wedding location.
This town was named for Benjamin and Samuel Kelsey who started the diggings in this area in 1848. During the height of placer mining, this was the business center and a rich mining center. Kelsey also had a large fire in the year 1853 that destroyed most of the town. This was where James Marshall lived and owned a blacksmith shop at the end of his life.